CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

Where is God When Bad Things Happen?

Bad things happen to everyone. Illness. Job loss. Financial ruin. Sometimes, people we love very much die. Sometimes we don't know if they're saved. Sometimes we're certain they're not.Sometimes, our hopes for our children are shattered, and we look for someone to blame, even if it's God, even if it's ourselves.Sometimes, bizarre circumstances will arise to defeat us every time we stand on our feet.Sometimes, someone is taken from us in a senseless, violent waste of human life.We aren't safe from these things because we're Christians.Why aren't we? If God is good, and great, and gives good gifts to His children, then why is it still possible for us to be hounded by misfortune?Does God punish us? If He was punishing us, wouldn't He tell us what we were doing wrong so that we could straighten up and please Him? (I do have a friend - not on here- who struggles with this)Does God make you guess what the plan is? If not, how far will He go to be certain you get the right idea? (Shades of Jonah, here - but remember, Jonah knew perfectly well he was supposed to go before any enormous fish/whales got involved)In Christ, through Christ, we can do anything - even survive and be at peace as our world dissolves into madness around us. But why can't we simply avoid the madness?I actually know several scriptures that relate to many of these questions :) However, I am not very good at attaching chapter and verse numbers to them. I read the Bible story by story in context - I ignore the verse numbers. So if you've got the chapter and verse reference, by all means share it.My church covered this in the Life of Job series, too, but it's a major question for a lot of people, Christians and non-Christians alike.And last, which is more important: figuring out why bad things happen, or doing what we are called to do about them?

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• "Surely our griefs He Himself bore, And our sorrows He carried; Yet we ourselves esteemed Him stricken, Smitten of GOD, and afflicted." -Is 53:4

"And when THEY had crucified Him, they divided up His garments among themselves by casting lots." -Mt. 27:35

"...the Son of Man must be delivered into the hands of SINFUL MEN, and be crucified, and the third day rise again." -Lk. 24:7

Like I said. 

• Acts 2:22-24

22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:23 Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:24 Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.

Steve Crespo said:

Man is COMPLETELY responsible for the evil he does- yes, man murdered Jesus- but it was also planned from the beginning by the Lord to incorporated and use the murderous heart of man into His redemptive work, and so it was also ordained.

Matthew 27:50 - 50 Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.

Mark 15:37 - 37 And Jesus cried with a loud voice, and gave up the ghost.

Luke 23:46 - 46 And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.

John 19:30 - 30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.

Isaiah 53

He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.

10 Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in his hand.11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.12 Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

Hebrews 10

Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure.Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;

Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.11 And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins:12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;

Bad things happen to everyone. Illness. Job loss. Financial ruin. Sometimes, people we love very much die. Sometimes we don't know if they're saved.…
  •    It was both. Christ gave Himself as a sacrifice, but evil men murdered the Christ.

God allowed it. It was part of His perfect plan. But it was man who mocked, who beat, who scourged, and who nailed Jesus to the cross of his own free and wicked will.

Man is COMPLETELY responsible for the evil he does- yes, man murdered Jesus- but it was also planned from the beginning by the Lord to incorporated and use the murderous heart of man into His redemptive work, and so it was also ordained.

Kinda blows your mind, huh?

• It's not that humans murdered Christ; He gave of Himself, He sacrificed Himself, He drank from the cup of God's wrath in taking all the sins of the world upon Himself. If it was our heavenly Father's will our Messiah could have transfigured off the cross and with the heavenly hosts smote every last one of us, in the blink of an eye. It was not humanly possible to murder Yeshua, He did it on his own free will & volition, in accordance to fulfilling everything. Christ did it for you and me, we had no choice in the matter, Yahweh will do what He will whenever He wants, regardless of man. Praise Him for it, He knows what's best for you, and will not give you anymore than you can handle.

Lee Weeks said:

What is the worst that could have ever happened in all history?  I believe it was the murder of Messiah -- sinful man murdering the perfect Son of God.
    Bad things happen to everyone. Illness. Job loss. Financial ruin. Sometimes, people we love very much die. Sometimes we don't know if they're saved.…
  • This is an important issue to be able to discuss with those who don't know the Lord.  We don't want to be found giving false reasons for believing on Jesus (i.e., that He promises to improve our lives, give us good outcomes, etc.).  There could be no greater misfortune for any of us than eternal judgment -- which is where were we all headed ... and deservedly so (Eph 2:3).  Therefore, there is no greater fortune than to be saved from that judgment by grace through faith because of the shed blood of Jesus at Calvary.  We are saved and we are being saved and we will be saved.  While here we are to spend our lives becoming more like Messiah...daily.  Paul says we die daily, John says he must decrease and the Lord increase.  This process comes about not through the days of easy sailing, but through the rough portions of life that come our way. It is through trials that we have opportunity to be transformed into the image of Christ -- for His nature to be formed in us.

Romans 8:28 doesn't say that 99.9% of things work together for those that love God and are called according to His purpose....but that ALL things do.  The worst of things in our lives -- though it's very, very hard to always see -- are being used by our Father to shape us into the image of His Son, all for His glory.  All our past and present experiences are exactly what we need for God to prepare us for His future purposes for each of us.  In God, not one of those trials is wasted....if we allow for Him to work in us, counting all things lost for the cause of the gospel.

Very hard to live some days  -- impossible to in the flesh. 

What is the worst that could have ever happened in all history?  I believe it was the murder of Messiah -- sinful man murdering the perfect Son of God.  Yet, what is the greatest good that could have ever happened in all of human history?  God giving His only begotten Son that whosoever believes on Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.  The worst evil and the greatest good occupying the same moment -- the same act both good and evil simultaneously -- the cross becoming a tree not only of the knowledge of good and evil, but the tree of realized good and evil.   God turning the evil intentions of the enemy into his defeat.  If God can do that with the greatest evil anyone will ever know, He can do that with every other evil/suffering that we can experience....if we will trust our Father as Jesus trusted His Father.

We don't invite these trials, but we can be thankful that the God of the universe is not only with us as we walk through them, but He's already suffered the judgment of that evil.

He is so worthy of all our praise -- Glory to our King.

God's blessings in Messiah,

Lee

• Sin is the resolve to your qualms. The Earth is cursed, we are cursed, everything is cursed. The reason for all these things done by man is free will -we have the freedom to choose. Our Creator sets up the choices then allows us to chose to do or not to do, but His will be done, and He too will choose to do what He wants to do. Yahweh is love and not forcing His creation to love Him is love. The freedom to choose is creations liberty and adversely tho the result of a lot of bad things happening, including Sin.

This reply was deleted.