CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

Replies

• thak you so much for your critique, I really wish I could actually work on the line thing, but since I;m down to one ink pen (with my limited resources), but yeah, Im working on my perspective as we speak, perspective is still a hard thing for me to grasp when drawing ^^;

Calvary Comics said:
    The art is very amateurish, and the figures and perspective need a lot of work. Your surface linework needs much cleaning up, as it is inconsistent. Usually fatter lines are around forms in the foreground, and as objects recede in space, the outlines become progressively thinner. Additionally, your characters do not stay 'on model.' Animated cartoon studios, for instance, provide model sheets for their artists so they can see how the characters look from many different angles, in different body positions and facial expressions, and so they also know the relative heights of the characters (the last being an often overlooked item even amongst comics professionals).

Kind regards in Christ Jesus,

Alec
  • The art is very amateurish, and the figures and perspective need a lot of work. Your surface linework needs much cleaning up, as it is inconsistent. Usually fatter lines are around forms in the foreground, and as objects recede in space, the outlines become progressively thinner. Additionally, your characters do not stay 'on model.' Animated cartoon studios, for instance, provide model sheets for their artists so they can see how the characters look from many different angles, in different body positions and facial expressions, and so they also know the relative heights of the characters (the last being an often overlooked item even amongst comics professionals).

Kind regards in Christ Jesus,

Alec
  • its actually because the style for manga consists of reading right to left, its weird, I know, but its a bad habit I got myself into when I started ^^;

Michael Dean said:
    I am probably not the right guy to critique your work. I am not a fan of manga/anime style art. Having said that, all I will comment on is that I had a hard time following your dialogue in places - page 3 in particular. I found myself reading the ballons out of order. Maybe I'm noticing it because I just read that section of the book "Making Comics" by Scott McCloud. A reader's instinct is to read the page left to right and down, and I think some of your balloons bounce around more than you probably intended.
  • I am probably not the right guy to critique your work. I am not a fan of manga/anime style art. Having said that, all I will comment on is that I had a hard time following your dialogue in places - page 3 in particular. I found myself reading the ballons out of order. Maybe I'm noticing it because I just read that section of the book "Making Comics" by Scott McCloud. A reader's instinct is to read the page left to right and down, and I think some of your balloons bounce around more than you probably intended.
This reply was deleted.